Trident Stewardship Program
Keeping our ducks happy and healthy is our top priority at Maple Leaf Farms. Our Trident Stewardship Program ensures we constantly continue to improve our duck's environment & safety while also ensuring we use natural resources efficiently. Third part audited by PAACO, our program has pioneered duck research for years.
RAISING DUCKS HUMANELY
Maple Leaf Farms was the first duck company in North America to implement a detailed duck well-being program that includes science-based duck care for all stages of production, a training program for staff and growers, and an audit system that helps us continually identify areas for improvement. It sets the industry standard for duck care all over the world.
Starting in the mid-1990s, the program was built from our Duck Care Core Beliefs, our live production leadership, and by research-driven recommendations from an advisory committee of outside experts in animal science and veterinary medicine from universities and research outlets throughout the nation. Our program is also Third Party audited by PAACO (Professional Animal Auditor Certification Organization).
The Trident Stewardship Program entails measure for three major areas throughout our company - Humane Duck Care and Well-being, Biosecurity & Natural Resource Conservation. Today we continue to improve and grow in each of these areas every year to make our ducks as healthy and happy as possible.
Humane Animal Care & Well-Being
- Free to Roam, Cage Free Raised
- Access to fresh water and feed whenever
- No Antibiotics Used for Growth Promotion- Antibiotics are only used when prescribed by a licensed veterinarian to treat sick birds. In such cases, our company strictly adheres to pre-processing withdrawal guidelines more stringent than those given by the Food Animal Residue Avoidance Databank (FARAD) and USDA. We believe when our ducks are suck, this is the humane thing to do.
- No Hormones used for growth promotion - added hormones have been banned in the US for poultry since the 1950s.
- Climate Controlled Duck barns protect from extreme weather conditions, predators and disease
- Fresh air flow throughout barn with windows
- Raised on Family Farms in Northern Indiana only
- Partner farmers check on flocks at least twice daily
- Barns thoroughly cleaned and sanitized in between each flock.
- Farms are audited yearly in depth and with random check ups throughout the year to ensure farmers are adhering to the program guidelines.
- All Partner Farmers use only our feed
- Our duck feed recipe is crafted from corn, soy, wheat and essential vitamins & minerals.
- Our feed NEVER contains: antibiotics, growth hormones, animal protein products or any other growth promotants.
- Our feed is certified by American Feed Industry Association’s Safe Feed/Safe Food Certification Program
- Preventive measures installed in barns to avoid contact with wild birds, rodents and other animals that may carry disease.
- Visitors must wear protective clothing and footwear, utilize boot baths and hand sanitizers and verify they have not been in contact with hogs, other poultry or exotic birds 72 hours prior to the visit.
- We are involved with the National Poultry Improvement Plan (NPIP) program to help prevent Avian Influenza & Salmonella
- Our Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points (HACCP) & Good Manufacturing Practice plans ensure we meet & exceed USDA food safety standards and standard operation practices.
- Certified BRC AA in our processing facility audits for many years - the top status of food safety from the British Retail Consortium (BRC).
- Certified by the Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI) through BRC also.
NATURAL RESOURCE CONSERVATION
We believe it is our social responsibility to reduce our impact on the land, air and water in the communities where we work and live through natural resource conservation and proper waste management.
- Vertical Integration significantly reduces our Midwest energy and water usage since our facilities are located closely to each other.
- Partner farmers adhere to our guidelines for proper manure management and mortality disposal.
- Partner farmers have participated in environmental commitment training.
- Read more about our sustainability and natural resource conservation efforts through our sustainability focus section.
THE STORY BEHIND OUR DUCK
At Maple Leaf Farms we put care into every step of our Farm to Fork process. Get an exclusive look into our business with virtual tours and walk-through of our vertical integration. Follow along through our story behind our duck!
THE DUCK BREED DIFFERENCE
Did you know there are several different types of duck breeds that may make it to your plate? But, there is a BIG difference in how they may taste. Check out why Maple Leaf Farms produces only White Pekin Duck.